This session from the UN Global Compact Network Australia and the Australian Sustainable Finance Institute on Wednesday 24 August will bring together experts from Australia’s finance, investment and business sectors to understand how to work together to accelerate climate action.
Businesses and investors around the world have seen a shift away from simply divesting from high-emitting companies and assets to instead actively engaging with them to reduce emissions. As a growing portion of the finance sector makes net zero commitments and many governments worldwide increase their ambition on climate, the debate on divestment vs engagement is also evolving.
Join this webinar to learn about:
- How should businesses and investors in Australia be thinking about either divesting or engaging with companies they do business with to achieve their climate objectives?
- Are there situations where it is appropriate or effective to divest?
- Can divestment effectively reduce economy-wide emissions and how do you ensure engagement achieves this?
- How can smaller investors or businesses be most influential if they’re trying to support climate outcomes?
- How do we know what companies are telling us is what they’re doing? What safeguards are in place to ensure companies aren’t ‘greenwashing’ their sustainability credentials?
- Simon O’Connor, CEO, Responsible Investment Association Australasia
- Liza McDonald, Head of Responsible Investment, Aware Super
- David Jenkins, Global Head of Sustainable Finance, National Australia Bank
- Catherine Bozanich, General Manager Sustainability, Fortescue Metals Group